Posted by: Chuck | September 21, 2013

Philippines’ Aquino hopeful violence over soon; eight dead in clash


ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines (Reuters) – Fighting between Philippine forces and Muslim rebels in a southern city has been confined to just two areas and should be over soon, President Benigno Aquino said on Thursday. But despite such optimism, heavy clashes broke out in parts of Zamboanga city on Thursday and eight rebels were killed and 15 surrendered in one district, said an army spokesman. The gunmen, from a faction whom objects to a deal the government reached with the country’s main Muslim rebel group, marched into Zamboanga on Sept 9. The violence sits uncomfortably with the new-found reputation of the Christian-majority country as an emerging market success and one of Asia’s fastest-growing economies. More than 100 people have been killed and about 112,000 displaced in 11 days of fighting with the rebels from a breakaway faction of the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF). Aqunio, who has been in Zamboanga overseeing the offensive and relief efforts for the displaced since last Friday, said only 20 civilian hostages were still in the hands of the rebels and fighting had been contained in two areas. . (Source: Reuters News 9/20/13)

http://ph.news.yahoo.com/philippines-aquino-hopeful-violence-over-soon-eight-dead-114123310.html

Advertisements

Categories

%d bloggers like this: